Tuesday, July 29, 2008

No Blood for Oil

I call myself a moderate conservative mostly because I live with a woman I'm not married to and we have two children. I consider myself a Christian but I do not attend church.
Living in the liberal Pacific Northwest, there's never a shortage of people that have differing ideas than mine. I like to drink my non-Starbucks coffee and watch them as they protest.

Most folks here have a hatred for the President, and that's putting it mildly. Some of these same folks may also have a bumper sticker that says 'Hate is NOT a Family Value', on their oil-consuming late model car. I also like those SUVs that have their Kerry/Edwards campaign stickers still on them.
Our family has two cars, and mine is a Mexican built German badged 4-dr sport sedan. It uses oil. My girlfriend's car is an American built Japanese badged 4x4 wagon. And that uses synthetic oil. There was a ban on domestic oil drilling back in 1995. I often wonder what things would be like had we been drilling for our own crude over the last dozen years. But we haven't been and regardless of what some might say, drilling domestically or on our coasts would not be all that bad. Heck the Norwegians have drilled off of their own coast for decades. Venezuela and Cuba may soon be drilling off of our coastline too. Florida residents will see their rigs from their beachfront condos. People that have differing views than I do say we should reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I'm all for that. I mean, why would you buy your milk from France if you had perfectly good dairy cows in your own backyard? The idea of energy or fuel efficient vehicles intrigues me, and I'm a big technology buff. But realistically, we're not going to be off our oil habit any time soon. Who's to blame? Blame whomever you want. Maybe that kid who got pulled over for doing 100+mph in his Prius, might have had weed on him, and some other Rx drugs that weren't his, knows who we should blame. It won't change the fact that I think it's a good idea to ride the bus when you can.

No comments: